How are the eyelash extensions applied?
A single natural eyelash is isolated and a synthetic eyelash extension is placed on the top of your own natural eyelash using medical grade adhesive. The extensions are only placed on your own natural eyelashes and never on the delicate skin of the eyelid.
How long does the application of eyelash extensions take?
The procedure will take approximately 2.5 hours for a full set of eyelash extensions. A full set consists of both eyes, top eyelashes only. A fill takes approximately 1-1.25 hours. Taking this long for a full set is one aspect that sets Wink apart in the industry, as we take the necessary time to ensure that each of your own natural eyelashes has an extension placed on it to give you the length and fullness desired. There are more than 100 eyelash extensions used per eye when receiving the full set. Our top artist has 9+ years of experience, and still a full set of eyelash extensions can rarely be done in less than 2 hours. Beware of salons that claim that they can do a full set in less than 2 hours because by not allowing enough time to properly apply the eyelash extensions, the result will not be as you desire leaving with the eyelashes looking sparse and not being long-lasting. During the service you relax with your eyes closed and there is no pain involved, as this is a non-invasive procedure and typically clients are so relaxed they fall asleep.
How long do eyelash extensions last?
You will need to get a fill approximately every 2-3 weeks. Keep in mind that every person’s lifestyle and lash cycle are different. If your hair and nails grow quickly, that may indicate that your eyelashes also grow quicker.
Can I do eyelash extensions myself?
No. Eyelash extensions can be applied only by a trained professional.
Do eyelash extensions make my own eyelashes fall out?
Eyelash extensions do not cause damage to your natural eyelashes when applied properly by a licensed, trained, and experienced eyelash artist. When eyelash extensions are done properly — by isolating each individual eyelash, using an appropriate length and thickness for your natural lashes, and using minimal adhesive — there is no damage caused, and in fact, your natural eyelash health can improve from not using mascara or a mechanical eyelash curler.
Should I be careful in choosing who applies the eyelash extensions and should they be trained?
Absolutely! It is of utmost importance that you choose an eyelash extension artist that is licensed and certified in eyelash extensions to ensure the proper application and safety of your eyes. At Wink, every eyelash extension artist is a licensed esthetician or cosmetologist and has received advanced professional training in the art of eyelash extensions.
Can I still wear eye makeup?
Yes, but you won’t need mascara.
Can I wear mascara?
Eyelash extensions replace the need for mascara since you’re getting a thicker, fuller and longer look.
Can I curl eyelash extensions?
No, don’t use an eyelash curler. It will crimp your extensions and break them. The eyelash extensions are pre-curled.
What are fills, why do I need them, and how often do I need them?
A fill is needed due to the natural shedding cycle of your eyelashes. We need to replenish the extensions to your new eyelash growth. Fills are necessary every 2-3 weeks to achieve a consistently full fresh set of eyelashes. At Wink we also take the time to remove and replace any eyelash extensions that have grown out in addition to applying new eyelashes to the new eyelash growth. A fill will take approximately 1-1.25 hours. We do not offer a fill if it’s been more than 4 weeks from your last appointment.
Do the synthetic eyelashes come in different lengths and fullnesses?
Yes, there are a variety of lengths — from very natural to very dramatic. Your Wink eyelash artist will customize your eyelashes to compliment your eye structure and shape and to create your desired look.
Is the eyelash glue and glue remover safe?
Yes, having your eyelash extensions applied by someone who has been correctly trained ensures the safety of the products used. Because we specialize in eyelash extensions, we take great care to ensure that the adhesive and adhesive remover does not come in contact with your skin or eyes. Wink uses only the highest quality products to ensure your safety.
Can the eyelash extensions be removed?
Yes, at any time they can be professionally removed.
I had eyelash extensions applied somewhere else and I am unhappy with them. Can they be fixed at Wink?
Yes, we can do our best to fix the eyelash extensions and make them fit your desired look. However, since there are different techniques and products used, we can’t guarantee any of the work. We do charge an additional $15 for the first service since we’ll take extra time and precautions with you. If we can’t fix what you already have, we will recommend they be removed and a full set applied by one of our lash artists at Wink.
Eyelash Extension Facts
1. The industry term “eyelash extensions” applies to single synthetic eyelashes only. Groups of synthetic eyelashes are called flares, clusters, and tabs. They are heavier than eyelash extensions, applied with temporary glue, and not recommended to be worn for long lengths of time.
2. Eyelash extensions are not “one size fits all.” Everyone’s eyes and eyelashes are different and eyelash extensions should be customized to each individual to suit their look and ensure the health of their natural eyelashes.
3. Natural eyelashes grow to a finite length (different for each person), fall out, and are replaced by new growth just like the hairs on your head. When eyelash extensions are applied and maintained correctly they will grow out with your natural eyelash and still be attached to the lash when it sheds.
4. Natural eyelashes are constantly growing in and falling out at different times so your eyelash extensions will, too! There is no set amount of time that eyelash extensions will last because they will shed with the natural eyelash they are attached to when it grows out and that time varies for each person. Due to growth cycles and different stages, the best estimate is that you will shed 2-5 natural eyelashes per day – including those with extensions and those without extensions. Fills are necessary approximately every 2-3 weeks to maintain the fullness since there’s new eyelash growth that now needs an eyelash extension attached.
5. You should be seeing your natural eyelashes and extensions fall out together. This is normal. If your extensions fall off before the natural eyelash the adhesive bond wasn’t strong enough or after-care instructions were not followed correctly.
6. Eyelash extensions should not damage your natural eyelashes. In the hands of an experienced lash artist your natural eyelash health is maintained. This is achieved with proper isolation of the eyelashes when adhering the extensions, the quality of products used, and using minimal adhesive for maximum results.
7. Eyelash extension adhesive is designed to create a permanent bond between the extension and the natural lash. It is nearly impossible to remove extensions yourself without damaging your natural eyelashes. See a professional if you need to have the eyelash extensions removed so they can be removed safely without any damage to your natural eyelashes.